Are you looking out to tone your thigh and legs? If yes, then don’t worry, here I’m providing the information about the 6 best leg exercises for women at home that will aid you to get perfect sexy toned legs and a round booty.
Performing leg exercises at home is much easier than you think. I don’t think that you need any equipment like a squat bar, stair climber, or a leg press machine to fire up your lower – body muscles.
Building strong legs are significant because your entire body rests on the legs and it requires the strength to provide support to your upper body.
Additionally, performing different leg exercises will add muscle mass in the legs and will aid you with your upper body exercises as well. Due to leg workouts, testosterone – which is an anabolic hormone, and growth hormone boosts up in humans.
This article will provide full information about the leg workouts at home for women.
1. Wall Sit
This exercise is one of the best leg exercises for women that require no equipment and it sculpts your calves, thighs, hips, and lower abdominal muscles.
Do 15 minutes of wall sit workouts a day to tone and strengthen your glutes, calves, hamstrings, quads, and core. This exercise is good for individuals who are into sports.
Walk sit is a static exercise that offers a constant strain on your thigh muscles, which in turn increases the muscle’s strength and endurance.
In addition to this, the abductor muscles present in your inner thighs can be strengthened with the help of the wall sits.
You can do this exercise to strengthen your leg muscles. Once you can comfortably do 4 sets per workout, not only you can increase your frequency but also add variations to increase your balance, endurance, and strength.
To build some muscle mass in your legs, try to hold this exercise for an extended period. The longer you hold the wall sit, the more you will stimulate the growth of new muscle fibers.
Video Credits: Fitness Blender
How to Perform Wall Sit Exercise:
- Start with a standing position and keep your back straight against a wall.
- Now place your feet firmly on the floor and position your feet about 2 feet out from the wall.
- While keeping your back straight come into a squat position and bend your legs until they are at a right angle or a 90-degree angle. Make sure that your hamstrings are parallel to the floor.
- Keep your abs tight or engaged the entire time.
- Hold this move for about 30 seconds.
2. Single-Leg Bridge
The Single-Leg – Bridge Workout is a great way to strengthen your hamstrings and gluteus muscles – that’s the Minimus, Maximus, and Medius.
It also aids to sculpt and tone your buttocks, as well as strengthens your hamstrings i.e. the back of your thigh.
If you are a desk-bound employee, this exercise is a perfect option for you because it can improve your lower – back strength and hip mobility.
This exercise is considered as one of the powerful core strengthening techniques. Besides this, a single – leg – the bridge is the best leg workout for women.
Video Credits: Howcast
How to Perform Single Leg- Bridge Exercise:
- Start by lying down on a yoga mat.
- Now bring your both legs together with your knees bent.
- Lift your one leg towards the ceiling. While lifting your leg engage your core and draw your belly button towards the floor.
- Keeping your leg up in the air, press your hips up and down.
- Lower your hips and repeat the same procedure with the other leg.
- Do 10 – 12 reps on each side.
3. Glute Kickbacks
Glute kickback is known as a powerful booty workout that mainly targets your booty and doesn’t require any equipment.
This leg exercise is effective for both ladies or men who want to firm their butt.
Other muscles ( including triceps, lower back, and abdominal) will be used as stabilizers in this exercise.
This exercise is focused on the extension of your legs and building muscles. Besides this, it can aid with balance and overall mobility.
The main purpose of this exercise is to isolate your glute to extend your hip. Glute kickback is one of the best leg exercises for women for strong and sexy legs.
Video Credits: Nuffield Health
How to Perform Glute Kickback:
- Kneel down on the floor and place your both hands in front of you. Keep your hips and knees at a 90-degree angle.
- On an exhale, raise your right leg until your thigh is parallel with the floor.
- Lower your right leg and repeat the same move with your left leg.
4. Glute Bridge
Glute bridge or hip raise exercise strengthens your glutes to prevent knee, back, and hip pain. It tones your glutes and the hamstrings.
In addition to this, this no-equipment leg workout which you can do at home isolates and strengthens your lower back muscles, core stability muscles, hip muscles, hamstrings, glutes, and the stabilization of your spinal cord.
This workout move targets the posterior move or the back of your legs. The prime movers in your posterior chain are your glutes and hamstrings.
Video Credits: Mayo Clinic
How to Perform Glute Bridge:
- Lay on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Place your arms next to your sides.
- Raise your hips off the floor until your entire body forms a straight line.
- Keep your core tight while squeezing your glutes or hamstrings.
- Hold this bridged position for 5 to 10 seconds then come back to the starting position.
A squat is a compound exercise that strengthens the muscles of your entire legs which includes your hamstrings, glutes, and quads, simultaneously it also engages your core.
Additionally, performing squats can aid you to develop stability for jumping workouts and can also aid to enhance balance.
Yes, it is true that squats are enough to train your legs. Your legs will get buffed by performing squatting every day.
Squats use every muscle of your leg and will tone your lower body. In addition to this, they will assist in enhancing the strength of your quadriceps, calves, and hamstrings along with other muscles to enhance your balance.
Squats are considered as one of the best leg workouts not only for women but also for men that aid you to tone legs. They also create an anabolic environment which in turn promotes muscle building.
This leg exercise mainly targets your glutes and thighs ( hamstrings and quadriceps). However, ankle mobility, calves, core strength & stability, back muscles, and other muscles play an essential role when you are performing this leg workout.
Video Credits: Bowflex
How to Perform Squats:
- Begin with your legs just about shoulder-width apart.
- Raise your both hands in front of you for maintaining balance.
- Keep your back straight and do not arch your back inwards or outwards.
- Make sure that your neck and back in one line. Push your hips back and imagine that you are sitting on an imaginary chair. Keep in mind that your hips must be parallel to the floor. Make sure when you are in a squat position your knees do not collapse.
- While doing squat “breathe in” when you go down and “breathe out” when you come up.
6. Side Lunges
Side lunge refers to an effective exercise that strengthens your glutes, hamstrings, and quads. However, it also targets your inner and outer thighs.
It tones the outer thigh bulges and also aids in preventing inner thigh chafing.
You have to add this leg exercise in your workout routine as it improves your balance, tones your lower body, and helps you to get tighter legs.
Side lunges are surely one of the best leg exercises for women for strong and sexy legs.
You can even go with the normal lunges too which is another lunge variation.
Video Credits: Health Magazine
How to Perform Side Lunges:
- Start with a standing position with your shoulder-width apart. Now keep your shoulders relaxed and bring your both palms together.
- Take a big step to the side and make sure that you keep your torso upright as possible. Now lower your body until the knee of your leading leg is bent at around 90 degrees.
- Try to keep your trailing leg straight.
- Stay in this position for a few seconds then come back to the original position.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other side.
These 6 exercises including wall sit, single-leg bridge, glute kickback, glute bridge, squat and side lunges aim to sculpt your legs. Leg exercises aim to make your legs strong and toned.
Besides this, stronger legs will enhance your performance of other exercises too including cardio training sessions like walking, jogging, and running.
These 6 best leg exercises for women at home require mental strength, functional strength, and upper body strength. These can be both mentally and physically challenging. They engage your upper body along with your lower body.